Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

We hosted the hubs' fam today for (another!) birthday BBQ party for the boys.  This marks the end of what feels like birthday "month" since both the boys have birthdays this month (10 days apart) and they somehow managed to score 3 separate (although joint) parties.

I always forget what day it is on long weekends, and this weekend was no different.  I usually live through Sunday, and totally behave like that day doesn't count, and then without fail Monday arrives only I think it's Sunday and it's like the last 24 hours never even happened.  It's not like I go on a huge bender and have a legitimate reason for forgetting the day, I think I'm just crazy.  Or old.  Either way.  So like always, I was totally convinced it was Sunday today and that it was my "rest day" in my training plan, but then had a moment of clarity somewhere in my 3rd beer of the BBQ and realized that I had already enjoyed my rest day and that unless I was ok getting off schedule I was going to have to muster up the motivation to run or at least do something.  (Getting off schedule because I'm "too busy" I still have guilt about, but can live with.  Simply for being a moron and forgetting the day, I can't live with).  Luckily, we had time to hit up Cedardale post party and before they closed, so I decided to try some outdoor lap swimming.  Also luckily, there was a man swimming in the next lane that I got to "race" (not that he was necessarily aware that we were racing).  That always makes it at least a little more enjoyable.  My goggles are failing me big time though, and for my last swim and this one I had to stop several times to adjust and get the water out.  My eyes are killing me now!  So I just ordered some really funky looking ones (Aqua Sphere Kayenne's) that got awesome reviews on Amazon.  Hopefully they work as well as is claimed.

Had to juggle my workouts around this week since I forgot that yesterday "counts".  And I was supposed to run today, so technically I finished Week 2 Day 2 of the program, but tomorrow I have to do Day 1 (run) and I want to try a spinning class on Friday, so now that will be a cross-train day.  I don't want to run 2 days in a row, so I guess this week it's going to be:

Monday- cross-train
Tuesday- short run
Wednesday- rest day
Thursday- short run
Friday- cross-train
Saturday- long run
Sunday- rest day

I really don't know how I'm supposed to fit the strength training in, since that's going to take an hour minimum every time and it's just sneaked in on the schedule on cross-train days.  I haven't really done any strength training yet though and Friday is my next cross-train day, so I might have to get some in before then.  Plus I really need to find time for extra stretching, icing, foam rolling, my back strengthening exercises....Man, this is complicated!  And time consuming!  Sheesh!  You'd think trying to run a marathon is a big deal or something...

1 comment:

  1. I wear the aqua sphere goggles & really like them. Mine are blue.

    ReplyDelete